Friday, March 9, 2018

Shadowing

CRAWL BEFORE YOU WALK, WALK BEFORE YOU RUN


After covering a lot of interesting and important information about the basics of personal training, Joe feels I'm ready to begin shadowing him during his sessions with clients.

This was my first time ever observing a personal training session. The client was a woman in her mid-thirties and her main goal is to lose weight. She is a single professional with no children. She trains three times per week. She is working her way through an ankle injury, so Joe is careful to check in with her about how it feels but also to include exercises like calf raises and step ups that help strengthen the ankle and improve its mobility.

This session's focus was on total body circuit training, which Joe says is the best approach the majority of time with weight loss clients. I noticed this client was very talkative and Joe used a lot of silent cues to keep the client working, like walking toward the next station and picking up the weight or equipment that would be used next. The client got the message to get to work without him having to actually say it to them.

As far as a first session goes, it was pretty basic, and I felt like it reinforced a lot of the basic info Joe shared with me about training programs and how to run a session. I'm looking forward to more of these experiences!

I was also left alone with a bootcamp class one day. This was scary and intimidating at first, but I ended up communicating with the clients and began to time them and give them spots as needed. This experience really made me feel like trainer!